Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Sense and Sensibility

Title: Sense and Sensibility

Author: Jane Austen

Genre: Romance, Classic

Brief Synopsis: Elinor and Marianne Dashwood are two young women living in a society ruled by class. They deal with love and loss, and try to cope with the society that encourages marrying for connections rather than love.

Comments: I came into Sense and Sensibility with high expectations, having read Austen's excellent work of Pride and Prejudice. I'm sorry to say that this piece fell short of my expectations. The author's style didn't seem quite as well formed as in Pride and Prejudice and the characters at times seemed merely two dementional. It didn't hold my interest nearly as well either. While still a seemingly charming book, it wasn't Austen's best work.

Classify: Long, slightly boring, love story that seems quite familiar.

Worth Reading?: I would say not. And perhaps try Pride and Prejudice instead.

Would you read this again?: I have no intentions to.

Kendal <3

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

have you read "Northanger Abbey"

Kendal said...

That is literally the only Austen I haven't read! I've bee really pleased with her other works, but Sense and Sensibility still just doesn't do it for me.