Monday, February 4, 2008

Lord of the Flies

Title: Lord of the Flies

Author: William Golding

Genre: Classic

Brief Synopsis: Lord of the Flies is about a group of British school boys that get trapped on a uninhabited island. The boys have fun at first, loving the freedom, loving the life without grown-ups until fear and disagreement splits the island.

Comments: I had heard from several people, prior to reading this, that this book was just plain old gross, which made me hesitant to read it. Despite the comments I still read it, and I didn't find it that bad. Don't get the wrong idea, it's a deeply disturbing book about humans and their behavior in crisis. There were several times that made me sick to my stomach. It is extremely well written. I'm still not exactly sure how I feel about this book. This book was just one of those that I feel is kind of going to carry some weight with me forever. It has such a strong message...disturbing as it is...it makes an impression. I feel hesitant to say I liked it, but not because I didn't...just because you can't really Like what it all represents...but it's a fantastic book. If you read this might make a little more sense to you!

Classify: Short, well written, disturbing.

Worth Reading?: Yes. Definitely. Read it. It's a classic and shouldn't be missed.

Would I read this again?: I'm not quite up to that yet...but yes. Some point down the road I would like to read it again. I think it's one of those books that shocks you the first time around, and you need to read it again to get deeper meaning.

How long did it take me?: It's 200 pages, very short, and it goes by very quickly. It's fast moving and is over before you know it.

Did I find it particularly easy or difficult?: There are some words that I didn't know and there are just beautiful descriptive paragraphs, so it's not really easy but not difficult.

4 comments:

Maria said...

you really make me want to read that now
butttt
I just started the Monk book I have :P

Casey said...

I don't know if I'll read it. Well, I think I will, but I don't have time now. I'm trying to get through Wuthering Heights for my book project. I never have time to read!!!! AHH!!!

Lauren said...

Ahaha, all this talk about the mysterious lesson of this book is making me want to read it now... Barnes and Noble here I come!

Kendal said...

Haha wow I didn't realize I would leave such an impression with my majorly vague review! I know I'm balancing it with Owen Meany! For the love of god book END!
Ooh and Casey let me know how Wuthering Heights is! It's a classic, I wasn't so sure about reading it though, since I didn't like Charlotte...I was hesitant to try Emily. So make sure to post!