Monday, December 17, 2007

Jane Eyre

Title: Jane Eyre

Author: Charlotte Bronte

Genre: Coming-of-age, Drama, Romance

Brief Synopsis: This is a story of an orphaned girl, we start the story with her at her terrible Aunt's house and then we move to her days at a terrible school. We follow young Jane all the way until she finds a house in which she is a tutor for an eight year old girl. We get insight into Jane's over-working mind and explore her feelings for the infamous Mr. Rochester.

Comments: May I start by saying... Woah this girl could write!!! This story was sooo eloquently written, just absolutely beautiful! While I didn't actually care for the book (very...very...very...long), I could totally appreciate how well written is was. It is one of the ultimate romantic books, even now...so if you're "Romance Intolerant" put down Bronte. She is not for you. I just felt like this moved really slowly. There wasn't a lot of action and you had to follow what they're were saying very carefully, because every person had a speech, no one just said one line, and they talked in old english, and a lot of metaphors. Not like Shakespeare, just a little more effort then picking up and reading Frog and Toad. . . . Oh and just in case you're wondering (I doubt you are) but Eyre is pronounced like Air.

Classify: Long. Slow. Takes a little effort.

Worth Reading?: Er...if you're willing to take you're time with it...if you're patient, it's worth it. It's excellently written.

Would I read this again?: I think at some point I might try.

How long did it take me?: A long time. I typically read a book in 1-2 days...almost no matter the length. If it's interesting it doesn't take me a long time. However if it doesn't grab my attention I start dread reading it...it took me a long time... I didn't like have to have it with me or read it whenever I could. It took me weeks. With a large uh..."absence of reading" in the middle.

Did I find this book particularly easy or difficult?: It wasn't difficult, but wasn't like again...Frog and Toad.

~Kendal

1 comment:

Casey said...

Thank you for stearing me away from Jane Eyre. If you could barely get through it, then I know that I won't be able to stand it.